NGC MS & PF Washington Quarters 1932-1998
1992-S CLAD PF
View Image Gallery >
||QUARTER DOLLARS - WASHINGTON, PROOF
||25C 1992 S CLAD
||NGC PF 70 UC
The Washington Quarter was originally introduced in 1932 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of George Washington. Although the coin was only intended to be issued for one year, the design proved so popular that it continued to be used in the following years. A modified version of the obverse continues to be used to this day for the twenty five cent denomination.
The designer of the Washington Quarter was John Flanagan. The obverse of the coin features the head of George Washington facing left with inscriptions “Liberty” and “In God We Trust”. The reverse of the coin features an eagle with outstretched wings, perched on a bundle of arrows with olive branches beneath. The reverse inscriptions read “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, and “Quarter Dollar”.
The long running series has been produced at the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco Mints. The original composition of 90% silver and 10% copper was used from 1932 to 1964 before being replaced with the copper nickel clad composition. Mintages have ranged widely over they years, with widespread circulation throughout the United States. The series gained more attention and prices for many issues rose, after the introduction of the State Quarters Program in 1999.