NGC Registry Updated NGC Registry

Canadian Masterpiece Set 018


Set Type: Silver $20, Lighthouse Series, 2004-Date, Proof
Owner: Augustus 70
Last Modified: 9/24/2019
Views: 466

Rank: 1
Score: 958
Leading by: 150
Points to Higher Rank: N/A
6   
Set Listing   Gallery   Slideshow       History  

Set Description:

Canadian Masterpiece Set 018

Set Description:

🥇2014 Best in Series
🥇2016 Best in Series
🥇2017 Best in Series
🥇2018 Best in Series

This is the World's finest collection in the Canada S$20 Lighthouse Series. The was a very difficult set to acquire, as in the case of the Toronto Island lighthouse coin, many many submissions were required before I was able to secure a PF70 example.
A local legend is that the Toronto Island lighthouse is haunted by its first keeper John Paul Radelmüller who was murdered in 1815. According to local lore, soldiers from Fort York visited J.P. Radelmüller on the evening of January 2, 1815, in search of his bootlegged beer. But they had too much to drink and a dispute broke out, culminating in the keeper's murder. The inebriated soldiers, so it is claimed, tried to conceal their crime by chopping apart the corpse and hiding the remains. In 1893, then-keeper George Durnan searched for the corpse and found part of a jawbone and coffin fragments near the lighthouse, though it was impossible to definitively prove they were linked to Radelmüller. The veracity of the legend of the murder has long been questioned. As prominent Toronto historian Mike Filey wrote, when it came to the truth of the story of the keeper's demise, "Your guess is as good as mine."

The Toronto Island Lighthouse is one of Toronto's oldest buildings and is a historical landmark.

The Sambro lighthouse was built during the Seven Years' War by the very first act passed by Nova Scotia's House of Assembly on October 2, 1758 which placed a tax on incoming vessels and alcohol imports to pay for the lighthouse. An earlier attempt by the colonial officials in 1752 to finance the lighthouse with a lottery was unsuccessful. With funding secured by the Assembly, construction began in the fall of 1758. Masonry work was completed by November 3, 1758 and a temporary light was first lit while construction continued. Construction was completed in 1759 and Joseph Rous (son of Captain John Rous) was appointed as the first keeper.The lighthouse was first automated on 1988. Cannons were used to provide fog warnings beginning in the late 18th century until the 1870s when a steam fog whistle was installed.

The PF70 example of the Toronto Island Lighthouse coin was purchased exactly 8 years to the day from the purchase of the PF69 example. What luck!
--- SET DETAILS ---

In the description box for each coin, you will find the pedigree of the coin and the date the coin was added to the Augustus Collection. All coins certified by the Augustus collection are labelled as such.

Pedigree = Former Collections that owned this particular example

Date = dd/mm/yyyy - Date this particular example was acquired by the Augustus Collection.

TIME REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS SET IN PF70 GRADE: 9 years

FIRST COIN PURCHASED ON: March 13th, 2009

LAST COIN PURCHASED ON: June 06, 2018

APPROX. COST TO COMPLETE SET: $600.00
 Slot DescriptionGradeServiceScore
View Coin 2004 SAMBRO ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO NGC 479
Shop Similar
View Coin 2005 TORONTO ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO NGC 479
Shop Similar

All Coins/Scores

To follow or send a message to this user,
please log in