Test Your Numismatic IQ
Over five years ago, NGC begin its weekly quiz, Numisma-Quest. Every week, we test your numismatic knowledge and give away great prizes. It’s free to participate and lots of fun. All you need is a free Collectors Society Message Board account.
Each Friday afternoon, a question is posted on the Numisma-Quest section of the Collectors Society coin and currency message board. The questions alternate every other week between coin and currency topics. The first person to answer correctly wins a prize. We also draw from the remaining correct answers to award a second runner-up prize. The only catch is that answers must be received by midnight (EST) on Saturday to be eligible for a prize.
The Numisma-Quest board is moderated. When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Then, on Monday morning, we make all the replies visible and announce the winners.
To get you ready for the competition, here’s a quick quiz of 15 multiple-choice questions taken right from Numisma-Quest. Click on the Show Answers link below to see how you did.
1. Which of the following is a popular doubled-die variety in the Lincoln Cent series?
2. What was the date of the first copper-nickel five-cent piece?
3. Of the following individuals, who does not appear on a U. S. coin?
A. Andrew Jackson
B. Calvin Coolidge
C. James Cook
D. James Monroe
4. Which of the following contains the most silver?
A. Draped Bust Dollar
B. Seated Liberty Dollar
C. Trade Dollar
D. Morgan Dollar
5. This coin was the first one issued with the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.
A. Indian Head Cent
B. Lincoln Cent
C. Two-Cent piece
D. Shield Nickel
6. The initials of which coin designer were mistaken for those of a foreign dictator?
A. James Fraser
B. John Sinnock
C. Gilroy Roberts
D. Victor Brenner
7. Who has the final decision on a new design for an existing coin denomination?
A. The president
B. The president’s wife (or husband)
D. The Treasury secretary
8. Which of the following coins is no longer a legal tender?
A. Half cent
B. Large cent
C. Trade dollar
D. None of the above
9. On which of the following coin denominations has a foreign monarch appeared?
B. Quarter dollar
C. Half dollar
D. Silver dollar
10. What was the lowest valued coin authorized by the Mint Act of 1792?
A. Half cent
C. Half dime
11. Which living American appears on a United States coin?
A. Bill Clinton
B. Eunice Shriver
C. Maria Shriver
D. George H. W. Bush
12. How many USA coin denominations were made with the date 1826?
13. What was the highest valued coin authorized by the Mint Act of 1792?
A. Half dollar
B. Silver dollar
D. Double Eagle
14. U. S. Mint Chief Engraver James B. Longacre designed which of the following?
A. Silver three-cent piece
B. Copper-nickel three-cent piece
C. Both of the above
D. Neither of the above
15. The American Numismatic Association recognizes how many grades of Mint State?